SMS wins ‘Net Zero Leaders’ Award at TELCA 2022
SMS is delighted to have been recognised with the ‘Net Zero Leaders’ prize at The Energy Live News Consultancy Awards (TELCA) 2022.
The prize, which is sponsored by SSE Energy Solutions, is awarded to the energy consultancy which has made an outstanding contribution over the past year to the UK’s national net zero carbon emissions objectives, as well as the low-carbon goals of clients.
In winning the award, SMS was recognised for its range of energy solutions delivered to private and public sector customers across the UK, including consultancy, project funding and delivery, and bureau & optimisation services.
— Energy Live News (@EnergyLiveNews) November 30, 2022
We were also recognised the for the positive environmental contribution of our metering and data solutions, grid-scale energy storage sites, and leadership of numerous Government-backed net zero innovation projects.
These include Project ReMEDY (which set out to create a Smart Local Energy System in Southend), and Project VPACH (which demonstrated a successful public-private partnership model to demonstrate to deliver EV Chargepoint infrastructure using existing telecoms street furniture).
Finally, SMS was also adjudged to have shown environmental leadership through our own internal commitments to reaching net zero emissions across our business by 2030. Read about our net zero target here.
The award was presented to SMS energy consultants, David Mundow and Ross Evans (pictured centre left and centre right) at the TELCA ceremony in Manchester’s Museum of Science & Industry, Wednesday 31st November 2022.
Thank you to the organisers, Energy Live News, and award sponsors SSE Energy Solutions for this fantastic recognition.
SMS’s net zero highlights include:
- In 2021, we mitigated 126,759 tCO2e through our range of energy solutions, equating to a carbon handprint that was more than 55 times larger than our carbon footprint.
- Our net-positive impact in 2021 was equivalent to powering 220,705 British homes with clean electricity for the entire year.
- In 2022, we took our total installs of smart meters to 1.9 million across the UK. It is estimated that once every home has a smart meter installed, the technology will contribute the equivalent carbon reduction of 70 million trees, or 1.5bn tonnes of carbon emissions (tCO2e) per year.
- Last year, we delivered our first 50MW Battery Energy Storage Systems (BESS) in Burwell, Cambridgeshire. The site is capable of storing enough intermittent renewable energy to power up to c.50,000 thousands of homes with green electricity and is one the largest projects of its kind to come online in the UK to date. We have since established a pipeline of 760MW to be delivered by end of 2026 (either in construction, site secured, or under exclusivity).
- Our Energy Services division continued to establish new energy systems and decarbonisation strategies for organisations across the industrial, commercial, and public sectors through our data-driven consultancy, asset funding, and technical energy/engineering expertise.
- We continued to make progress toward our business Net Zero 2030 target, including all company cars replaced with hybrid or EV models; 11 EV plug-in/hybrid vans successfully trialled; 100 EV hybrid vans procured to rollout in Q1 2023; sustainability upgrades on offices, including solar PV (30KWp) installed alongside 17.6KWh battery system on first site in Q3 2022 (expected to save 5,000kg CO2e per year).
- During 2021, our carbon reduction efforts implemented across our business resulted in a 29% reduction in total direct business emissions (scope 1 & 2) compared to 2019.
Get in touch
Work with an award-winning Net Zero Leader to deliver your business energy strategy and achieve your low-carbon goals